Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Craziest Tuesday Night...

So, I've been wanting to start a blog for awhile now, and last night I finally got around to it. I signed up, picked a title, designed my layout...everything was looking good. Then I went to go write my first post, and realized that I had absolutely nothing to say. So, for 24 hours now, my blog has been sitting here, empty and alone, waiting for a story. And tonight, it finally gets one.

I am not a fan of Tuesdays. It's my busiest day of the week, and nothing exciting ever happens. Tuesday is for me what Monday is for most people. I hate Tuesdays, that's all there is to it.

Today was going like a normal Tuesday. Too much to do and no time to do it. Nothing exciting. Just boring old Tuesday. That all changed with one phone call.

I was out to dinner with my mom and dad, when my mom's phone rang. It was my aunt calling to inform us that my grandparents had been in a major car accident on I-20 and Park Springs. They had been traveling home from Alabama. They made it 12 hours with no problems, but couldn't make the last 15 minutes.

Several phone calls later, we finally got the whole story. It had been storming pretty badly, and some cars lost control. We don't know where it started, but an 18-wheeler swerved to try to get out of the way, lost control, and almost hit my grandparents. At the last minute, my grandma swerved, and ended up hitting another car, and everything snowballed. The result was a 52 car pile-up.

That's right: 52.

According to my grandpa, it's a good thing Grandma swerved. If she hadn't, they would have gone right under the 18-wheeler and been "decapitated."

So, after my grandparents were brought to safety at a church across the street, they called us and we set off to go pick them up. My parents almost left me at home, but I refused to be left out of the adventure. The traffic was crazy, and because all the roads were closed, we had a hard time finding the church. But, finally, after much crazy driving, frustration, and stress, we found them.

My grandparents were ok, just shaken. The car was in a ditch, not totaled, but it was going to be awhile before they could move it out of the way. They got interviewed for NBC News, but didn't make it on tv, unfortunately. That would have been so cool.

The poor people behind the accident. Westbound 20 is a PARKING LOT. It's been over 4 hours now and they're still stuck.

Anyway, it was easily the most excitement I've had in awhile. I felt like a detective--first, having to solve the mystery of finding the church my grandparents were at, and second, being at the scene of the crime. Is it bad to have enjoyed the night so much? I knew my grandparents were ok, so I found no need to worry. I loved every minute of my little adventure. Who knew a Tuesday night could hold so much excitement and suspense?

And now I'm at home, drinking a chocolate milkshake, and finally getting to write my first blog post! Could the night get any better?

Click here to see the official news story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing your thoughts. :-)