Saturday, October 5, 2013

Without God, I Am Nothing.

The other day I was praying for a friend who is going through a tough time right now, and it reminded me of the hard time I recently came out of. Like literally just a few months ago. It has been the hardest thing I've ever gone through so far in my life, and it took a year to recover. For a year I was insecure, sad, and confused as to why God would let this happen to me. Why me?

A year.

But now? I'm grateful. I'm grateful for this experience because I learned so much. I learned a lot about relationships, I learned a lot about myself, I learned a lot about relating to others, but most of all, I learned that God is WAY bigger than all my problems.

And then I remembered this post I read from The Christian Wife Life a few months ago. If you've never checked out this blog before, do it now. Read every post. Ashley is an inspiring, Christian woman growing closer to God every day.

I strongly urge you to read her original post -- linked above -- but here is basically a summary of what she said.

Have you ever heard the saying "God will never give you more than you can handle"?

Ashley says that statement is misleading, and I completely agree. Personally, I think God has given me many things I can't handle. But despite that, I have always come out stronger on the other side. Not because I'm way tougher than I think, but because I have God on my side.

I think God gives us hard situations to remind us that we need to relinquish total control to Him. To remind us that nothing is too big for our God. To remind us that without Him, we are nothing, but with Him, we can do anything.

Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." It doesn't say, "I can do all things because I believe I can," which I think is the message that society often tries to send us.

I know for a fact I would not have been able to handle my year-long situation on my own. Heck, I wouldn't have been able to handle junior high on my own. But thankfully, I didn't have to do it alone.

Sometimes, life is going to go downhill. And then it's going to get better, and then it's going to get worse again. That's just how it works. But God is there for us no matter what we're going through, and we need to remember that. God helps us through the hard times and rejoices with us through the good. Our God is greater, stronger, and higher than any other and nothing can stop us for He is on our side.

"What then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing your thoughts. :-)