Monday, December 9, 2013

The Icepocalypse of 2013.

I live in Texas.

Texas is typically regarded as having very warm weather. In the summer, 100 degrees is not unusual. However, what many people who have never lived in Texas do not know about this great state is that while it is consistently hot in the summer, the other seasons (or should I say season, since fall and spring don't really exist here) are less predictable.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that, summer being the exception, Texas is bipolar.

Last Wednesday, December 4th, was a beautiful, sunny, 80 degree day. Thursday morning, the temperature was 35 degrees and quickly dropping. By Thursday evening, we had reached 100% precipitation and the freezing rain began to fall.

Friday morning, north Texans everywhere woke up to what seemed to be a winter wonderland. The sky was a bright white, everything in sight was covered in snow.

 This was actually taken after it was mostly melted. Also, look at my sweet girl! :)

Except in Texas, "snow" actually means ice.

And ice = the end of the world.

Let me explain.

Because we are Texas and precipitation during below freezing temperatures is extremely rare, we are unprepared for situations like this. We don't have the proper tires for driving in this weather or even the proper coats. Classes are canceled, businesses close -- basically, everything shuts down until the ice melts. Usually (we have a major ice storm about once a year) this doesn't take more than a day.

Except this year, the high temperature didn't even get close to above-freezing until Sunday. And even then, it was only above freezing for a few hours before dropping again. The ice is melting, but it will be with us for awhile.

Let's take a look at what my weekend would have looked like without the ice:

Friday: go to work, go home and get ready for Christmas party, go to company Christmas party, look at Venus (it was the brightest it's been all year on Friday and I'm kind of way too excited by astronomy).

Saturday: help decorate my church for Christmas, go to another church event in the evening.

Sunday: go to church, go to lunch with friends.

Monday: go to work, go home and get ready for rescheduled Christmas party, go to company Christmas party.

Now let's take a look at what my weekend looked like with the ice:

Friday - Monday: watching four seasons of Community on Hulu before my one week free trial runs out.

Okay. SLIGHT exaggeration. I worked from home Friday morning. I also did a little bit of cleaning and Christmas decorating. And today (Monday) I worked from home in the morning and then was able to go in the office for the rest of the day. But other than that, I've been watching Community. Also, staying in my pajamas all day and not putting on makeup.

Since Friday, my office has been closed, the company Christmas party has gotten rescheduled twice, all of my plans have been canceled, and also, it was too cloudy to see Venus on Friday night and I am irrationally upset about it.

Oh, and my bunny is sick. Look how pathetic:

He looks dead. I promise he's not.
 
But that doesn't have anything to do with the weather.

So basically, y'all, ice ruins everything.  I haven't seen any of my friends since Wednesday and I'm starting to forget what they look like.

Also, fun fact: on Thursday, in preparation for the ice, stores were PACKED and shelves were emptied.

It truly is the apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing your thoughts. :-)